Municipal Historians appointed by NYS local governmental bodies
Borrower's Card application (45 KB)
Municipal historians who are appointed by NYS city, town, village or county governments are eligible to receive a NYS Library Historian Borrower's Card. These borrower's cards begin with a "P" number.
With a NYS Library Borrower's Card you can:
- borrow materials from the State Library’s 20 million item collection
- request materials in person, over the telephone (518-474-5355), via fax (518-474-5279), via email to firstname.lastname@example.org , or online through Excelsior, the NYSL online catalog
- pick up materials onsite at the Circulation Desk or request that items be mailed to your office (See Pick up and Delivery Options for more information.)
- remotely access, from work or home, the Library’s collection of online databases and millions of magazine, journal and newspaper articles available in over 20,000 full-text online journals and newspapers
- submit Interlibrary Loan requests for items not owned by the State Library in person at the Reference Desk, over the phone (518-474-5355), via email or online via Illiad
Municipal historians must complete a NYSL Historian Borrower's Card application (45 KB) and must present personal photo-identification (such as a current NYS driver license or current photo-identification issued by the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles) AND verify their status as a duly appointed municipal historian by presenting one of the following:
- photo-identification from the place of employment identifying you as the municipal historian
- letter from the local appointing authority confirming you currently hold the position of historian for that county, city, town or village
Photocopies or scans are acceptable when mailing, faxing or e-mailing your proof of status.
A NYSL Borrower’s Card is issued for individual use and is non-transferable. Please do not share your NYSL Borrower’s Card number or PIN with others.
NYSL Historian Borrower’s Cards must be renewed every two years.