Attorneys who are residents of NYS and admitted to practice in NYS
Borrower's Card application (45 KB)
Attorneys who are New York State residents and are admitted to practice in New York State are eligible to receive a NYS Library Attorney Borrower's Card. These borrower’s cards begin with a "P" number.
With a NYS Library Borrower's Card you can:
- borrow materials from the State Library's 20 million item collection
- request materials in person, over the telephone (518-473-5676), via fax (518-474-5279), via email at email@example.com or through Excelsior, the NYSL online catalog
- pick up materials onsite at the Circulation Desk or request that items be mailed to your office (See Pick up and Delivery Options for more information.)
- remotely access, from work or home, the Library’s collection of online databases and millions of magazine, journal and newspaper articles available in over 20,000 full-text online journals and newspapers
- submit Interlibrary Loan requests for items not owned by the State Library in person at the Reference Desk, over the phone (518-473-5676), via email or online via ILLiad
Attorneys must complete a NYSL Attorney Borrower's Card application (45 KB) and present personal photo-identification that includes their home address (such as a current NYS driver license or current photo-identification issued by the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles) AND verify their status as an attorney by presenting one of the following:
- Attorney Registration Number
- listing as an attorney in a current legal directory
- NYS Bar card
Photocopies or scans are acceptable when mailing, faxing or e-mailing your proof of status.
NYSL Attorney Borrower's cards must be renewed every two years.
A NYSL Attorney Borrower's Card can also be issued to a law firm. The NYSL Attorney Borrower's Card for a law firm card must be signed by one of the principals of the firm and someone in the office must be designated as the office contact. (The office contact could be a librarian, paralegal, office manager, etc.)