Online Registration Tools: Summer Reader and Wandoo Reader
Summer Reader: Sign-up | Training | Information
Wandoo Reader: Sign-up | Training
Continuous Support from Evanced
In 2010, the New York State Library began offering statewide access to Summer Reader, an online registration tool developed by Evanced Solutions, to New York's public libraries and neighborhood branches.
Starting in 2015, the State Library will offer all New York public libraries the choice of using Summer Reader or Wandoo Reader, a new online registration tool, also developed by Evanced Solutions.
Summer Reader and Wandoo Reader are web-based online summer reading registration tools that allow children, teens, and adults to track their reading, monitor the prizes they have won, write reviews, and much more. Both can be customized by libraries to allow them to manage summer reading programs, give additional prizes, add news individualized to each library, and much more. The children’s version of Wandoo Reader features an interactive game that tracks books read by the player in order to progress through the game. Both Summer Reader and Wandoo Reader can be used year-round for other public library reading-based programs.
The State Library is offering the choice of either Summer Reader or Wandoo Reader online registration software to each public library in New York State as a component of the statewide program Summer Reading at New York Libraries. These software tools will enable libraries to further enhance summer reading programs, increase participation, and streamline the collection and reporting of data on program participation and related activities. Use of the software is voluntary. The software comes ready to use, but libraries may further customize the software to meet local needs.
If you do not have Summer Reader, please complete this survey*. You will receive an e-mail reply with all of the necessary information that you'll need to get started with Summer Reader, including web links to your library's Summer Reader site, passwords to access the administrative side of the software, and customer support information from Evanced Solutions.
*Summer Reader site links do not change from year to year. Therefore, if you have had a Summer Reader site in previous years, your link will remain the same.
For details on how to apply your Summer Reader themes (banners), visit Evanced's Knowledge Base.
We recommend public library staff and public library system staff involved with the summer reading program, as well as IT staff at public libraries and public library systems, register for Evanced Summer Reader Training Sessions as needed.
To register for any ongoing Summer Reader Training Session, please go directly to the Evanced Training Calendar.
In addition, libraries can receive free email assistance in setting up Summer Reader. Register for this service.
New York State Summer Reader Training Webinar Sessions
All training webinar sessions are one hour long. Webinars will be archived after the live presentations. To participate in the live webinar and to view the archived webinar, you will need to register through the given link.
Below are each of the links/dates/times for the Classic Summer Reader NY contract sessions
Please register for NY State SR Spring Cleaning-Classic SR 2016 on Feb 9, 2016 2:30 PM EST at: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/524242018259405314
Please register for NY State SR Spring Cleaning-Classic SR 2016 on Feb 18, 2016 11:00 AM EST at:
Please register for NY State SR Admin-Follow-Up Session-Classic 2016 on Mar 1, 2016 2:30 PM EST at:
Please register for NY State Summer Reader Q & A Session-Classic 2016 on Mar 15, 2016 11:00 AM EDT at:
Summer Reader Training Webinar Sessions for New Users
For those new to Summer Reader, these videos will help you get started:
After watching these videos, you can sign up for a Q&A Training Webinar through the Evanced event calendar
- For details on how to apply your Summer Reader themes (banners): How To Load Summer Reader Style Template
- Summer Reading at New York Libraries Participation Certificates:
- Instructions on adding certificates Use certificate links below
- Links to New York State Certificates:
- For those libraries that have restrictive e-mail servers and are not able to use the e-mail functions of Summer Reader, an Amazon e-mail service has been set up. Information on the Amazon e-mail option
- For those libraries who have been authenticating program registrants by their library cards, please review information about authentication.
- Learn more about exporting program set ups and sharing them with other libraries in your system (YouTube video). Please note: by using the 3rd way to clone a program described in the video above, you can export the program and send it to libraries in your system. After exporting a program and saving it to your computer, the file can be sent to other libraries as an email attachment. From there, the libraries can save the email attachment to their computer and then upload it to their Summer Reader site, per the directions in the video above.)
- Download color logos for Summer Reader online registration links
- Download Summer Reading at New York Libraries color logo for use with online summer registration tools
- Sign up for your library’s or library system’s trial instance of Wandoo Reader at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NYWandooReader. The trial period extends until March 31, at which time each library or library system can agree to use either Wandoo Reader or Summer Reader. After May 25, if the library or library system decides to use Wandoo Reader, their trial instance becomes their official instance.
For those new to Wandoo Reader, this recorded session discusses the upcoming features of Wandoo Reader. Here are additional recordings about Setting Up Your Wandoo Reader Programand How to Use Challenges in Wandoo Reader.
There are also regular Q & A sessions about Wandoo Reader for all libraries available on the main Evanced training calendar that you can sign up for.
New York State Wandoo Reader Informational Webinar
Wandoo Reader informational webinar: November 14, 2014. This webinar covers the basics about Wandoo Reader, particularly the children’s version. See how the game works from a user’s perspective and then take a look at what the library can do to customize their patrons’ experiences.
Support is available from Evanced support staff 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. EDT Monday through Friday. Access to all Evanced support materials, manual, FAQ’s, and recorded trainings are available 24/7/365. Evanced also offers ongoing unlimited free access to product training throughout the year.
- E-mail Support
- Call Support: (317) 352-2188 -or- (888) 519-5770
For more information on the use of Summer Reader or Wandoo Reader visit the pages and sites listed below:
- Advantages of online registration for summer reading programs in public libraries
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Evanced Summer Reader page
- Evanced Wandoo Reader page
- Evanced Knowledgebase
- Facebook -- under Evanced Solutions
- Twitter -- @evanced
For more information on Summer Reading at New York Libraries, please contact Sharon Phillips, Library Development Specialist, Division of Library Development, New York State Library, (518) 486-2194.
Summer Reading at New York Libraries is funded through the Federal Library Services and Technology Act, with funds awarded to the New York State Library by the Federal Institute of Museum and Library Services. The New York State Library is a program of the Office of Cultural Education in the New York State Education Department.