Summer Reader Online Registration Tool
In 2010, the New York State Library began offering statewide access to Summer Reader, an online registration tool developed by Evanced Solutions, to New York's public libraries and neighborhood branches.
Summer Reader is a web-based online summer reading registration system that allows children, teens and adults to track their reading, monitor the prizes they’ve won, write reviews, and much more. Summer Reader also allows library staff to easily manage summer reading programs, draw prizes, and build exciting educational programs that fit the needs of local communities. Summer Reader can also be used year-round for other public library reading-based programs.
The State Library is offering Summer Reader online registration software to all public libraries in New York State as a component of the statewide program Summer Reading at New York Libraries. This software tool will enable libraries to further enhance summer reading programs, to increase participation and to streamline the collection and reporting of data on program participation and related activities. Use of the software is voluntary. The software comes ready to use, but libraries may further customize the software to meet local needs.
If you do not have Summer Reader, please complete this survey*. You will receive an e-mail reply with all of the necessary information that you'll need to get started with Summer Reader, including web links to your library's Summer Reader site, passwords to access the administrative side of the software, and customer support information from Evanced Solutions.
*Summer Reader site links do not change from year to year. Therefore, if you have had a Summer Reader site in previous years, your link will remain the same.
For details on how to apply your Summer Reader themes (banners), visit Evanced's Knowledge Base.
We recommend public library staff and public library system staff involved with the summer reading program, as well as IT staff at public libraries and public library systems, register for Evanced Summer Reader Training Sessions as needed.
To register for any ongoing Summer Reader Training Session, please go directly to the Evanced Training Calendar.
In addition, libraries can receive free email assistance in setting up Summer Reader. Register for this service.
New York State Summer Reader Training Webinar Sessions
All training webinar sessions are one hour long. Webinars will be archived after the live presentations.
New User Class: March 18, 2014, 11:00 a.m. https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/793879978
Spring Cleaning Session: March 19, 2014, 1:00 p.m. https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/268394442
Admin Follow-Up Session: April 2, 2014, 11:00 a.m. https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/360017234
Summer Reader Q&A Session: May 15, 2014, 1:00 p.m. https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/796251090
Fall Clean Up Session: October 16, 2014, 1:00 p.m. https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/147021850
- For details on how to apply your 2014 Summer Reader themes (banners): How To Load Summer Reader Style Template
- Summer Reading at New York Libraries Participation Certificates:
- Instructions on adding certificates Use certificate links below
- Links to New York State Certificates:
- For those libraries that have restrictive e-mail servers and are not able to use the e-mail functions of Summer Reader, an Amazon e-mail service has been set up. Information on the Amazon e-mail option
- For those libraries who have been authenticating program registrants by their library cards, please review information about authentication.
- Learn more about exporting program set ups and sharing them with other libraries in your system (YouTube video). Please note: by using the 3rd way to clone a program described in the video above, you can export the program and send it to libraries in your system. After exporting a program and saving it to your computer, the file can be sent to other libraries as an email attachment. From there, the libraries can save the email attachment to their computer and then upload it to their Summer Reader site, per the directions in the video above.)
Support is available from Evanced support staff 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. EDT Monday through Friday. Access to all Evanced support materials, manual, FAQ’s, and recorded trainings are available 24/7/365. Evanced also offers ongoing unlimited free access to product training throughout the year.
- E-mail Support
- Call Support: (317) 352-2188 -or- (888) 519-5770
- download color logos for Summer Reader online registration links
For more information on the use of Summer Reader visit the pages and sites listed below:
- Advantages of online registration for summer reading programs in public libraries
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Evanced Summer Reader page
- Facebook -- under Evanced Solutions
- Twitter -- @evanced
For more information on Summer Reading at New York Libraries, please contact Karen Balsen, Library Development Specialist, Division of Library Development, New York State Library, (518) 486-2194.
Summer Reading at New York Libraries is funded through the Federal Library Services and Technology Act, with funds awarded to the New York State Library by the Federal Institute of Museum and Library Services. The New York State Library is a program of the Office of Cultural Education in the New York State Education Department.